Sunday, March 15, 2015

SCAMP gets a nose job (solving a problem with a custom router jig)

To the extent I can in my small shop, I like to take a step back from time to time and admire my progress.  Generally I am well pleased, but recently something a bit out of line caught my eye.

I think this had been hiding until the contrasting paint showed up the unevenness in the trim piece I had installed at the top of the bow transom last September (see this post: <rubrails>). My intent was to have the bottom of the trim match the curve of the deck, but looks like that didn't work out:

I thought about this for a while wondering how I could most easily correct the problem.  My planes would not work on this concave surface.  A curved sanding block beveled to match the edge angle could work, but that seemed like a lot of work and not guaranteed of success.

I finally hit on the idea of making a custom router base to which I could attach a fence curved to fit the deck, and a leg to hold the bit at the correct angle.

Here's a shot where you can see how this fits against the bow of the boat.  The bit is 1/2 inch diameter, and set to the correct depth will give me a nice radius at the bottom - I won't even need to re-fillet this joint.

Here's a first pass on one side, showing the amount of material that needed to be removed.

And here's the final result before painting.  I feel good about getting this evened up.  Clicking on any of these photos should show you a larger view.


  1. Now that's brilliant!
    Don't forget to leave at least one little flaw somewhere on the boat though, or you won't be able to prove she was homebuilt :-)

  2. Thanks, Joel! Rest assured, there are enough flaws for proof. I just didn't want to leave a big one right out there in front! -- Dave