Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Cabin sides installed

After the deck was installed I moved on to the cabin sides.  Here you see the cleats on the edge of bulkheads 2, 3, and 4.  These are beveled to match the angle of the cabin sides to provide a good glue surface, and I was working on these before gluing down the deck.

Here's the minimal clamping required during the glue up. The sides sit flush with the bottom surface of the deck, so the little leg in the foreground needs to be trimmed a bit, as it sits on top of the deck.  I also elected to cut the little quarter circle drain holes in the cabin side, mostly because I like the way they look.

I've got a little stick clamped to the deck pushing the forward part of the cabin side towards the center of the boat to keep the curve of the side constant.

After the epoxy cured I ran a little fillet along the lower edge of the cabin side to fix that in place.  Later on I will add a larger fillet and fiberglass tape to this joint.

I also glued on the doubler that reinforces the front section.

And filleted inside between the cabin side and the bulkheads. 

And along the bottom of the cabin side where it meets the carlin. After the epoxy cured I softened this edge with sandpaper.

With the sides attached the next step was to make the cleat that will hold the edge of the cabin roof.  There's a gentle curve to this, so I set up the steamer to bend the wood. 

After cooling and drying out I glued it on. 

Here you can see the small filler strip that I also added to the top of the cabin sides, as they were a little bit short. 

Here's the cleat installed. You can see I even remembered to run the bottom edge through the router before gluing it on.

And planed down to match the curvature of the roof, which is next to be installed.


  1. Looks reall nice. Very neat work.

  2. Those quarter-round cutouts in the cabin side forward extensions are very important and necessary to allow water to drain as it collects on the foredeck. Because of the slope aft, you can get a serious pool just from rainwater at the dock. They eliminate a potential rot area. Also, they provide very nice tie-off points if needed for a bridle or tent tie down.

    The builder of Peanut left them out. They have since been drilled through but it is not as neat a job

    1. Thanks for the feedback, Simeon! I could see that the drainage would be helpful, but that's a good point about them being a potential cabin tent attachment point. And I think they're important just from a looks standpoint, too.