Thursday, October 2, 2014

Cabin roof finished (and mistakes recovered from)

With the cabin roof in place, it was now time to dress up the edges.  I could see when I positioned the roof that I would have some work to do, as things didn't line up quite right.  

First I cut and fit the doublers that go aft of B4 to see how things were lining up.  


And I believe I have made another little mistake here.  I think the cabin roof doubler should fit above the cabin side doubler, not inside it.  But I had already cut it too short to do that...  

Here you can see that I'll need to add a little material to the back end of the cabin side.



First glue-up was the cabin roof doublers on both the fore and aft edges.




And then I attached the cabin side doublers.


With the front doubler in place you can see that the cabin roof is skewed.  This looks pretty bad here, but I really can't see anything out of line just looking at the boat, so I'm not worried about this.  I did so some careful measuring of the roof panel, to see if I could blame this on a mis-cut part, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I think that although bulkheads B1-B4 are held with the correct spacing with an alignment jig at assembly time, I must have had some twist in there somewhere so they are not quite square with the fore-aft center line. 


So I got a bit of scrap plywood out, made one edge straight, 


and glued it on 

and after the epoxy cured I trimmed it to size and sanded it, and it looks good.  Will be invisible under the paint.


A similar pieced was needed on the aft edge of the roof




And after a bit of sanding this looks good, too.  I haven't trimmed the end here and the rear edge has not been planed or rounded over.



Next I moved on to address the back edge of the cabin sides.  Here you can see that I needed to extend the sides aft a bit. 



So I cut a piece of scrap ply to fit and installed that with epoxy.


After trimming and sanding, this looks good.  Mistakes or inaccuracies like this are easily recovered from (and that's good!).


No comments:

Post a Comment