Thursday, January 2, 2014

Graphite pinholes, centerboard fairing and weights

I had noticed as I had been coating the inside of the centerboard case parts with epoxy thickened with graphite that there were some places that weren't taking the epoxy.  I don't know why that happened.  I thought they would fill on subsequent coats, but they didn't.  

Probably not a big deal, but I wanted a smooth surface in these areas that would be inaccessible once assembled.

I sanded the shine off to make the spots more visible, mixed up some epoxy/microballoon fairing mix, and filled in the little holes.  Hopefully the filler will adhere OK and will give a smooth appearance when I add the next coat.

Tonight I also finished up the fairing work on the centerboard and rudder pieces.  I used a homemade longboard as well as the random orbit sander.  These pieces are now ready to be covered with fiberglass after the halves are glued together.

And to get another step closer to that, I glued the weights in the centerboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment